How to Make Vanilla Cupcakes
With a light, airy texture throughout and a sweet icing on top, nothing quite beats a classic vanilla cupcake. Better yet, cupcakes are simple to make – and you can decorate them however you wish! Whether you sprinkle hundreds and thousands or edible glitter, there’s one thing we know for sure: these vanilla-flavoured cupcakes with a creamy vanilla frosting are mouth-wateringly wonderful.
- 20ml of Whole Milk
- 40g of Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 140g of Caster Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp of Baking Powder
- 120g of Plain Flour
- A Pinch of Salt
- ¼ tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients:
- A Few Drops of Vanilla Extract
- 250g of Sifted Icing Sugar
- 25ml of Whole Milk
- 80g of Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
METHOD: Easy-to-Please Vanilla Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 170°C (150°C fan or gas mark 3) and place 12 cupcake cases into your cupcake/muffin tin.
- In a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, salt, baking powder and flour, until combined and resembling a sandy consistency.
- Pour in half of the milk and mix until just combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, egg, and the rest of the milk, until combined. Add this to the other mixture. Beat both mixtures together until smooth and completely incorporated – but make sure you only beat for a few minutes to prevent over-mixing!
- Retrieve your cupcake tin and spoon the mixture evenly into each paper case, until they’re two-thirds full. Place the tray in the oven and bake for between 20 and 25 minutes, until your cupcakes are light golden brown, springy in texture, and cooked all the way through. Leave the tray on a cooling rack before turning the cupcakes out to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make a vanilla frosting ready for icing later. Beat the sieved icing sugar with the butter until well mixed. Then, in a separate bowl, combine the milk and vanilla extract before adding to the sugar and butter mix. Make sure you a spoonful at a time, beating between each one. Once added, beat the mixture for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Once your cupcakes have completed cooled, spread or pipe the prepared frosting over the top of each one, and then top with edible decorations of your choice.