How to Make Crepes
Whether you’re celebrating Pancake Day, treating the children to a quick and flavoursome feast, or simply making use of what’s in the kitchen cupboard, making crepes is the perfect way to indulge in tasty food, fast! Incredibly versatile, you can serve them with fresh fruit, smothered in chocolate spread, or sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice – and we’ve got the perfect recipe for the job!
- 120g of Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 120ml of Milk
- 120ml of Water
- ¼ tsp of Salt
- 30g of Melted Butter
- Frying Oil
Optional Topping Ingredients:
- Topping One: 1 sliced banana; 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Topping Two: 1 tsp sugar; 1 lemon
- Topping Three: 240ml double cream; 38g caster sugar; 85g honey; 200g strawberries
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Frying Pan
METHOD: Delicately Delightful Crepes
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, and then add both eggs. Whisk the ingredients together until they’re well combined.
- Once the eggs and flour are mixed, you can begin gradually adding the milk and water. Add these slowly, and stir the mixture as you go.
- Next, add the salt and butter (ensure the butter is nice and soft) and beat until smooth.
- Lightly oil your frying pan and place it on the hob over a medium heat.
- Pour approximately 2-3 tablespoons of your batter into the frying pan, and tilt the pan using a circular motion until the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Cook the batter over a medium heat for 1 - 2 minutes, until the bottom is a light golden-brown.
- Once the crepe has taken shape and the bottom is cooked, gently loosen the edges using a spatula, turn the crepe over, and cook the other side.
- Remove the crepe from your pan and set it aside on a plate, then repeat steps 5 to 7 to cook the rest of your crepes, until all the batter has been used. Serve hot with your choice of delicious topping!
Topping One: Trying chopping a banana, sprinkling it over an open crepe and adding a dollop of vanilla ice cream for a tasty dessert that also contains one of your 5-a-day!
Topping Two: A traditional favourite; sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar down the centre of your crepe, drizzle with the juice of a freshly squeezed segment of lemon, roll, and enjoy.
Topping Three: Beat together heavy cream and caster sugar until thickened, add honey, and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread this delicious honey-cream over your crepes, add hulled and sliced strawberries, and then fold it in half for an indulgent after-dinner treat!