"I loved shopping so much, I had to come and work for Ideal World!"
Debbie has been working with Ideal World and Create and Craft since 2003. She is passionate about the needlecraft shows and enjoys demonstrating sewing machines, having been sewing since she was about three years old. Debbie also recently studied at the London College of fashion.
Her career in television started on ‘Crossroads’ in 1979, followed by many commercials and appearances in soaps and TV dramas, playing anything from a barrister in Coronation Street to a travel agent in Brookside. She also spent a couple of years as the face of Childrens’ ITV in the mid '80s, interviewing pop stars of the day, such as Hue and Cry, Climie Fisher, Kim Wilde and Eddy Grant.
Born in Derby, Debbie now lives in Lincolnshire with photographer husband Garie, and has three grown-up children, David, born 1981 and married to Alexandra; Kim, born 1990 and Tyler, born 1995, and a menagerie of pets.
She loves the buzz of working in a live television studio, and particularly enjoys the interaction with viewers of the Craft Channel.
Back to top
Q & A:
- What did you do before IW?
- I presented on a couple of other channels but, prior to that, I worked for ITV.
- Most embarrassing on-screen moment?
- I once went on-air with my dress on back to front – shan't say when 'cause someone might have the tape!
- Tell us a secret
- I'm really good at keeping secrets…
- What's your idea of the perfect Sunday (when you're not working)?
- Reading the papers, lunch with the whole family, and good conversation.
- Which living person do you most admire and why?
- My husband. After 27 years together he still makes me laugh.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself / others?
- Blaming someone else for your mistakes. I like to think I never would.
- Aside from property, what's the most expensive thing you've bought?
- A 1959 Jaguar XK150.
- What is your guiltiest pleasure?
- What keeps you awake at night?
- How would you like to be remembered?
- As an eccentric 100-year-old millionaire!
- What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
- Not to take anything for granted.
- Favourite IW/CC product?
- Brother 8080 Sewing Machine. I've nearly worn mine out.
- Which phrase do you overuse?
- "I'll have a pair of those in a size 5, please."
- If you could travel back in time, which period would you visit?
- Not far – my childhood in the 1960s.